Dental Care and Pregnancy
Every dentist knows that it is important for expectant mothers to take good care of their . Pregnancy causes hormonal changes that increase your risk of developing gum disease (gingivitis) — which can affect the health of your developing baby. Pregnancy gingivitis usually occurs during the first trimester. are usually bleeding, swollen, red and tender gums.
Good oral health during pregnancy could also be important to your baby. Some researchers have suggested that the serious stage of gum disease, , could cause premature birth and low birth weight.
These tips can help you maintain good oral health during pregnancy:
- Continue regular checkups and cleanings with your dentist. Avoid dental x-rays while pregnant.
- Brush your teeth properly at least twice a day to remove plaque.
- Floss your teeth daily. Flossing removes food from in between the teeth.
- Use an antimicrobial mouth rinse. can help prevent gingivitis.
- Brush your tongue daily to help remove bacteria.
- Eat nutritious meals and healthy snack.
To learn more about our Grand Rapids dentists and the services we offer, please contact us here or call us at (616) 988-9485. Our dental professionals strive to be the very best at providing patients with optimal care while making them feel right at home here in Grand Rapids, MI.